I’m not sure why, but I always found lipstick so intimidating. It’s not like chapstick or a sheer gloss that you can just sweep on without even needing a mirror. But, then again, that’s part of the appeal. Lipsticks pack much more presence with deeper, brighter, truer shades. Plus, there’s something so very chic about a perfect shade of lipstick paired with mascara and a simple bun. Here are 6 super-useful tips to help you apply lipstick like a pro!
- Unsure of which pink is best for you? Just smile; your perfect shade is about the same color as your gums—no lighter.
- To keep your color in place, fill the entire lip with neutral pencil before applying lipstick. If necessary, roll the tip in the palm of your hand to warm it up and prevent hard lines.
- Turn any lip color into a shimmery new shade: Swipe sheer golden gloss over lipstick—it instantly warms up every color.
- Give the illusion of two perfect peaks without lining lips: Just dab concealer in the groove at the center of your upper lip and blend well.
- If you really like the way a lipstick color looks in the tube, prime lips with a touch of foundation before applying; that way, you start with a blank canvas. The result will be similar to what you see in the package.
- Turn any lipstick into a durable stain by blotting, reapplying, then blotting again to remove excess oils. Blot with lint-free blotting paper rather than tissue for a more natural, long-lasting look.